Why is Turmeric considered a miracle healer?
Turmeric was cultivated nearly 5 thousand years ago in India where it was used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat 100s of diseases. This ancient herb was referred to as Jayanti, “victorious over disease”.
It belongs to the same family as ginger and is commonly found as a spice used in curry dishes.
Aside from having a pleasant taste and bright yellow appearance, it is jam packed with a lot of beneficial nutrients for your body.
Some notable ones include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, vitamins B2, B3, B6, B9, C, E, K and zinc. (1)
The compound that’s found in this plant that provides numerous health benefits is known as curcumin. Here are some of the great health benefits:
It purifies your blood, body and energy system to enhance the performance of your major organs and bodily systems like digestive system.
While this is a bold statement, studies have shown that regular consumption of it aids in cleansing your body and eliminating cancer cells from your system.
Consume a marble ball of neem powder after consuming turmeric for further benefits.
It makes my joints smoother and I find it easier to perform the yoga namaskar in upa yoga.
The effects are more dramatic after I perform the movement after consuming the spice for an hour. (2)
Besides providing numerous health benefits, it can be used for beauty purposes like relieving eczema, treating acne, preventing skin infection and promote wound healing, just to name a few. (3)
Since majority of turmeric products are sourced from China and India where the quality control measures are more relaxed, it is important for you to open your eyes to look at the labels before buying any of them.
Turmeric should be the only ingredient when you look at the ingredients list. There shouldn’t be any other added items to enhance or preserve its taste.
A sure sign of assurance is to look for those which bear government organic seals like USDA as an example to stay on the safe side. (4)
If the turmeric is easy to wash off after you consumed it with your hands, it is of good quality.
I personally consume it in powder form.
1. Pour a little of turmeric powder on your palm.
2. Dap a little water with your ring finger to the mixture in your palm.
3. Use your fingers to slowly roll it into a ball.
4. Then put it into your mouth, chew and savor the taste before swallowing it.
5. After this is done, I will take neem powder and do the same.
6. Both items are to be consumed on an empty stomach.
7. At the end, I will drink a glass of warm water to wash the 2 items into my system.
Amazon is a great place to look for organic and natural turmeric powder. Be sure to look out for those with USDA seal for those who are more health conscious.
1. Larry Trivieri, Jr. 2018. Turmeric for Your Health: Nature’s Most Powerful Anti-Inflammatory (pp: 4-8). NY: Square One Publishers
2. https://isha.sadhguru.org/in/en/wisdom/article/health-benefits-of-turmeric (Accessed 29 July 2019)
3. Britt Brandon, CFNS, CPT. 2016. Turmeric for Health: 100 Amazing and Unexpected Uses for Turmeric. (pp: 85-121). USA: Adams Media.
4. Larry Trivieri, Jr. 2018. Turmeric for Your Health: Nature’s Most Powerful Anti-Inflammatory (pp: 153-154). NY: Square One Publishers