Is it possible to get a good workout that products results in 14 minutes? I was really skeptical when I first read about the Bowflex Max Trainer.
I mean if you are someone who has been working out in the gym for at least an hour everyday to get the results that you desire, this may sound too good to be true.
Upon closer examination, I realized that this product has won top honours in the International Design Awards 2013 under the Outdoor and Exercise Equipment category.
Furthermore, it has been featured in reputable sites like Men's Fitness, USA Today, Los Angeles Times and many other news sites.
This gives me enough reason to do some further research on this product to help folks who are thinking about buying it to get in shape and stay healthy.
In a hurry?
This is a revolutionary cardio machine by Nautilus Inc that is designed on the concept of interval training to help you burn more calories in less time.
It combines the motions of a step climber and elliptical to provide a high calorie burning and low impact workout.
1. Saves time - If time is the no.1 reason that you are not working out, you can get rid of the obstacle with this machine.
It allows you to burn more calories in just 14 minutes. Therefore, there is no excuse for you to not exercise.
2. Delivers more results with less time - In fact, the Max was pitted against treadmills, steppers and ellipticals in independent study.
The results are it burned 2.5 x more calories in a minute compared to other machines, treadmills (1.6 x), steppers (1.2 x) and ellipticals (1.0 x)
3. Provides a form of motivation - It comes with a Burn Rate display which allows you to monitor your performance in real time.
This gives you a form of feedback to force you to adjust your activity level to work your body harder.
4. Complete body workout - It engages more of your core and lower body muscles that an elliptical and provides up to 80% more upper body activation.
5. Low Impact - It is 200% better for your joints if you do a lot of running at moderate speed. Therefore, it is ideal for people who are prone to shin splints and knee problems.
6. Very Compact - It has a smaller footprint than a treadmill or elliptical. Therefore, you do not need a lot of space in your home to perform your workouts.
7. Afterburn effect - It ramps up your metabolism to burn more calories for hours after your workout due to its unique interval training regime.
There are currently 3 models available for the Max Trainer.
Here's a comparison chart between the 3 models:
First of all, the M7 has the most number of resistance levels at 20 while the M5 has 16 and the M3 has 8. The M7 will give you the most challenging workout available.
Secondly, the M7 has 3 target modes, 7 min, 14 min and 21 min which allows you to vary your workout time according to your fitness level and time available. The other 2 models have the standard 14 min only.
Both M7 and M5 models have contact grips and chest strap to monitor your heart rate while the M3 contains the chest strap only.
The ability to sync results is only available in M7 and M5. This provides a convenient way for you to monitor your results while on the go.
What's really cool about the M7 is that you can create 4 user profiles unlike the M5 and M3 which only allows you to create 2. Therefore, it is excellent for a family of 4 who wants to work out on the machine.
Both the M7 and M5 come with more workout programs to meet your workout needs and better display features for a better workout experience.
As the M7 model has the best of every feature available in the Max Trainer, it is priced the highest at US$2499. However, it comes with 3 years of warranty compared to 2 years for the M5 and 1 year for M3. The M5 is priced at US$1799 and the M3 at US$1199.
*Fast forward to 3:10.
1. When you get on the machine, a blue screen will light up.
2. Key in your user information like age and weight. The machine will then scale and set a range that is specific to you.
3. Hit on Max interval (red button).
4. Once you hear a "ding" sound, the Burn Rate meter will light up and give you a target to work towards.
5. You are supposed to start moving on the machine till the needle hit the target range on the display. This represents the active part of the interval, which is the short burst of activity.
6. After 25 seconds, you will hear a "ding" sound again. The needle will come down to the rest zone for 1 minute and 20 seconds.
7. Then it will bring you back up to the active zone again for 25 second.
8. This 25 sec / 1 minute 20 seconds interval will repeat for 8 times, giving you a total workout time of 14 minutes.
If you want more challenge, you can work harder than the zone that is provided to you or increase the resistance level.
I have obtained some real-live results from users of the Bowflex Max Trainer from their official site to prove that it can work for both men and women.
The 1st one is by Bobbi, female, 45 year old, GM of a major restaurant chain. She lost a total of 27 lbs after 10 weeks.
The 2nd one is by Med, male, 50 years old, a futures trader. He lost a total of 35 lbs in 10 weeks. He also commented that he felt much stronger and healthier after using the Max.
The Bowflex Max Trainer can only be bought from the official website. For those with financial difficulties, you can apply for the Nautilus credit card to qualify for the 18-month interest-free installment payment plan for the machine.
Therefore, you can get started with US$55.5 / month for the M3, US$88.8 / month for the M5 or US$122.1 / month for the M7.
Published 6 Mar 2016
Last Updated 12 Oct 2016